Sir William Turner’s 1945-1975 – a County Grammar School

The 1944 Education Act created state grammar schools and, despite a brief attempt at full independence, state funding was the only viable option for Sir William Turner’s after 1945.

After a hesitant start, and some consolidation of staffing, by 1950 the school was already achieving results bettering those of the 1930s.

A pageant in 1951 celebrating Sir William Turner and his Schools further consolidated the place of the School in the local community.

Stephen G. Barker, the Headmaster from 1953 to 1975, led the school to further distinction and following intense lobbying, a new school building was opened in 1963, on the school’s playing fields on Corporation Road Redcar.

The original Victorian building was demolished shortly after. The school flourished and grew in its new home, doubling in size to c.900 pupils by the early 1970s. The boarding provision continued and a new ‘technical stream’ was added.

Sports, particularly rugby & cricket, and music led an extensive extra-curricular programme. In the 1960s over 30% of school leavers went on to university, and boys from the school found employment and careers in a wide variety of fields locally and beyond.

In 1968 the school passed into the control of Teesside Local Authority, which in turn became Cleveland County, and in 1975 the buildings became Saltscar School, one of Redcar’s three mixed 11-16 comprehensive schools. 

Grammar School Gallery